First Christian Church is an independent, non-denominational, Bible believing Christian Church which strives to be real people with real faith in this real world. Our simple purpose is to introduce people to Jesus Christ and help them get better acquainted, in order to become fully devoted followers of Him. We strive to present the timeless truths of the Bible in a culturally relevant manner.
Love God, love people and make a difference.
It is a rare privilege to be part of such a church as First Christian with a great historic past. Alexander Campbell, one of the founding fathers of Christian churches, preached several times in New Philadelphia. James A. Garfield preached as a guest minister in this church before he became President of the United States. We are blessed to be part of a rich heritage of faith.
The physical building of First Christian Church has undergone many changes that date all the way back to 1844 when the first building was erected. Our stained glass windows are original to the building that was dedicated in 1899. The Educational Unit was built in 1958. The original design of our auditorium and social hall took shape in 1975. Today we are blessed with our current structure that underwent a major renovation in 2004.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
Our Statement of Faith
- That the Bible is the inspired Word of God, divinely preserved, "lamp unto my feet and a light unto our path." (II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:20,21)
- That Jesus in the flesh was both God and man, that he died for our sins and arose from the dead. (John 1:1-14; Philippians 2:5-8; I Corinthians 15:1-8)
- That every person has worth as a creation of God, but "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)
- That the forgiveness of sins and the promise of eternal life are available to those who trust Christ as Savior and Lord. (Mark 16:16)
- That those accepting Christ should repent of sin, confess their faith, and be baptized into Him. (Romans 10:9; Acts 2:38)
- That Salvation, with its forgiveness, its imparting of new nature by being born again, and its hope of eternal life, is by the pure grace of God. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- That the church is the body of Christ on earth and exists to save the lost and to build up and spiritually mature the saved. (Ephesians 4:13-18)
- That Jesus Christ will one day return to earth and reign forever as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. (I Thessalonians 4:13-18)
Church Office Hours
Monday-Thursday 9am-12n, 1p-4p; Friday 9am-12n
During the week, the office entrance can easily be accessed through the Third St, NW doors, where parking is also available.
MAILING ADDRESS: PO Box 474, New Philadelphia, OH 44663